October 10, 2017
In the time I have been legally able to vote, my country has been under the rule of George the 1st and 2nd, Clinton, Obama, and now Trump. We are now in month 10 of the unfortunate Trump Administration. I can say positive and negative things about all of the Presidents that I’ve lived under, but I can’t find a single positive in the last 10 months – and that’s not just my revulsion speaking. I quite literally can’t find one positive action committed by this administration. But, if there’s one thing we can say, it is that Trump can be trusted to do the wrong thing, every single time. Just a few examples in just a few short months:
- Ended DACA: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals was designed to protect hundreds of thousands of children who were brought into the US illegally by providing them with protection from deportation and work permits. Besides the human cruelty caused by such action, the cost to our economy of such a proposed action is monstrous. 90% of so-called “dreamers” are working and paying taxes, and they are not eligible for things like food stamps and medicaid. It is estimated that they pay as much as $2 billion in taxes yearly. (Brookings).
- Birth control: The Administration recently ended the requirement that employers pay for birth control within health benefits, if they object on moral or religious grounds. So, the President has given in to the lunatic religious fringe who believes that every child is a blessing, and that sex is apparently only around for procreation. They have virtually guaranteed that the abortion rate will go up, because if women can’t access birth control, then they will ultimately have more unplanned pregnancies. (Good job pro “life” party – your’e doing a super job.)
- Clean Water Act: Trump issued an executive order to “rescind” or “revise” the Obama-era regulations. (AP news). Clearly, providing clean drinking water for our citizens is something we simply can’t do. Nauseating.
- Paris Agreement: The Trump Administration pulled us out of an agreement to help the environment on an international level, thereby harming the environment even more than we already have, and embarrassing us on an International stage. The only good thing to come out of it is that quite a few state governors (including mine, thank God) are living by the goals of the agreement in spite of him. (Good for you Governor Brown – you rock!)
- Nasty coal: Just yesterday, the EPA Chief announced that “the war on coal” is over and the administration will be repealing a rule limiting “greenhouse-gas emissions from existing power plants.” (Chicago Tribune). We can trust Trump on the environment – he’ll certainly be leaving it much worse than he found it.
- Puerto Rico: Let’s see – he’s mocked their accents, bragged about “helping” when he isn’t really doing anything to help, blamed them for their own problems (I guess they caused their own hurricane), and seems to prefer spending his time threatening to fire football players who are exercising their Constitutional right to free speech. (Bloomberg). He’s disgusting.
My only positive comment in all this is that he will have to leave office at some point. I found a wonderful countdown clock if you’d like to follow along: https://www.tickcounter.com/countdown/1611151200000/america-new_york/yodhms/FFFFFF3B5998000000FF0000/Time_Until_Trump_Leaves_Office.
Proverbs 11:14 (NRSV): Where there is no guidance, a nation falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.
Serve all with love.
Photo courtesy of: stocksnap.io